Weaveworks was founded in 2014 and is the company behind popular Kubernetes tools like Flux, Scope, Cortex, EKSCTL (the official CLI for Amazon EKS) and the flagship enterprise product Weave Kubernetes Platform (WKP).
Our mission is to help the world’s leading organizations adopt Kubernetes and other Cloud Native technologies and working practices. Organizations use our products and services to build better software and operate it reliably, at scale. Our approach brings together container-based application deployment, Kubernetes, and operations tooling in a model we call GitOps.
This role is suitable for someone who relishes the challenge of being involved with cutting-edge technologies and complex customer needs.
We are actively looking for a Linux Kernel Networking Engineer to manage and develop Go-based kernel and userland tools for container and virtualization applications within our product and community offerings.
Familiarity with IP networking - TCP, UDP, ICMP, L2 and L3 routing.
Familiarity with the following Linux technologies:
- netlink APIs
- kernel devices such as veth, ptp, tap, tun
- Network namespaces
Experience of programming Linux networking APIs, either in Go or willing to learn Go.
Bonus skills - if you have experience of these we would be even more interested to talk to you!
- Container Network Interface (CNI) APIs and base plugins.
- Able to trace network packet flow through the Linux kernel.
- XFRM, the kernel packet transformation framework
- VXLAN kernel module
You will be responsible for the building, testing and integration of changes between several open source virtualization and container projects and the company's modifications and enhancements to the project. The candidate will work closely with other developers in a team-oriented environment and analyze and resolve problems found by customers or technical services.
What you’ll be doing:
- Hands-on development work in Golang
- Being a team member that:
- Communicates proactively and has a team-first mindset
- Contributes to an inclusive and collaborative environment
- Enjoys iterative development and likes making things progressively better working in an agile process
- Knows how to balance maintenance tasks with delivery of new features
- Likes to think about our end users and cares about their experience. Is comfortable collaborating with others;
- Demonstrates curiosity and willingness to learn
- Collaborating with the product manager to:
- clarify and refine issues/requests/features
- contribute to sprint planning and sharing ideas
- communicate with our external partners
- Communicating with the open source community
- Participating in wider Weaveworks engineering culture (lunch and learns/sprint reviews)
We’re looking for you if you:
- are comfortable working in a fully remote and distributed team
- have coding experience in Golang within a commercial context
- have the core skills listed above
- have a team-first mindset and demonstrate curiosity
- like working in an agile environment and getting things done iteratively to make things better for our users
- enjoy communicating, collaborating, and helping each other out
We really want to hear from you if you:
- think this sounds cool and are unsure if you should apply, especially typically underrepresented folks, please apply anyway
- are excited by the Kubernetes and container ecosystem
- want to contribute to making a corner of the tech industry and more inclusive and welcoming to all.
- Work in collaboration with technical services engineers to develop testing tools and scripts, debug and bug fixing; and Provide information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing development and service issues.
- Work in collaboration with the upstream open source projects to innovate, develop, bugfix, and assist with PR submissions as well as represent the company.
The fine print
- You must be able to work legally in the country employed
- We are not accepting contractor or other non-permanent candidates
- You must be comfortable working in a remote only (WFH) environment.
- As a for-profit company that is deeply committed to open-source, you will find yourself working with a team who are passionate to achieve success in both.
- Not open to recruitment agencies.